Friday, October 12, 2007

A new chapter in my life

I know I said in my last blog that I would be addressing topics of holiness for women, but today I am just going to write about me. Today is the last day in a chapter of my life. Monday will start a new chapter. Today I took Gray to Kayleen's (my babysitter) for the last time. She gave her 3 weeks notice, 3 weeks ago. She has been my babysitter since Emma was 6 weeks old. I couldn't imagine the kids going anywhere else while I am at work. I had a hard time moving Emma to the pre-school in August. The funny thing about it was that I was the one responsible for getting the day care up and running at Afton. I helped to create a place for Emma to go to instead of Kayleen's. But when the time came for her to attend the pre-school, it broke my heart. I know Emma loves Kayleen and I know Kayleen has always treated her as one of her own children. As a mother, I could never repay Kayleen for what a wonderful job she has done with my children. They have spent more waking hours in her home than in my own. I hope somehow I have shown a Christian testimony to Kayleen over the last 3 1/2 years that will draw her to Christ. She has done so much for my family in the last 3 1/2 years.

When Kevin hurt his back and was in the hospital for 10 days, Kayleen kept Emma all kinds of extra hours and even brought Emma up to the hospital to visit Kevin. When I didn't know how I was going to pay her for watching Emma when Kevin was off work for 8 months, she told me to just keep bringing her and we would figure it all out later. When Emma was 18 months old, she had me talk to the doctor because she thought something might be wrong with Emma. Emma would take really long naps and just not seem to have the energy that other kids her age had. Well a couple of months later we found out that Emma had several holes in her heart. The doctor's say it shouldn't make her more tired, but it has always affected her that way. Anyways, I hope someday I will be able to repay Kayleen and her family for all the wonderful things they have done for me and my family.

Well today when I dropped Gray off I tried to express to Kayleen how much I have appreciated her but all I could do was cry and say thanks as I left. I actually have to thank her. If she would have never given her 3 weeks notice, I would have never had to crunch the numbers and discover that if I took a 50% pay cut but had free daycare, there wouldn't be that great of a difference in what I made. So if God will bless us with more children in the daycare by December, I will quit my job and work at the daycare and be with Gray and Emma all day. I have someone keeping Gray at the church for the next 7 weeks until he turns 18 months and then I hope to be the one to teach his class. I have always wanted to be with my children and work with the church. If things continue to work out as they have, that should happen sooner than later. My goal was to work for the church in about two years but since I couldn't imagine leaving Gray with anyone other than Kayleen, I hope to start by December.

I don't know if Kayleen will ever read this post, but if you do, Thank you for loving my children. I know you once had roots in the church. I don't know too much about your experience with God but I know He loves you and he can solve all the problems that you are facing right now if you will turn to Him. He has been the glue that has held me and Kevin together in difficult times and I know He can do the same for you. The Bible reminds us to cast all our cares upon Him for He careth for you.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Amy, I do not really have any encouraging words for you at this time. I wish that I did. But, one thing that I have been told over and over again lately does seem to fit here too. "All things work together for good to those that love the Lord." Those may not be exact quotes but, you get the gist. I really appreciate your friendship and insight. Michelle J